Oxalic acid - A cheap way to reduce the hardness of your water
Written on 30-06-2018 18:11 by cab
You can use oxalic acid to reduce the hardness of the water, if your only problem is the hardness.
Course of action
- Fill a large bowl with water
- Make a solution of oxalic acid
- Add so much oxalic acid solution (while stirring) that the pH becomes around 4-5
- Apply airiation for 12-24 hours to remove the large amounts of carbon dioxide (CO2)
- Stop the air and after 1 hour of resting the calcium will precipitate and land on the bottom as a white powder
- Tap the water without getting any of the white powder along (it is harmless though)
Now you can use the soft water - if required, you can mix it with regular water to get the hardness you need.
Jem og Fix
A suitable container or bowl